One of the most important aspects of blogging is collecting emails from readers. Especially if you are planning to make money from your blog. This is one of the first bits of advice you get when you are setting up your blog or website.
Collecting emails is a 3 step process: Offering an incentive, a Call to Action using a subscription form and an Email collecting service. There are costs of time and money involved in each step.
This post’s purpose is to review a product: MailMunch. MailMunch.co is a freemium service which can ease the monetary cost involved in step 2. Let’s take a detailed view and discuss Pros and cons of this service.
Collecting email address from your readers, should they choose to, involves three items:
- Providing an incentive to sign up for your readers. You have to create this for readers to be interested in entrusting you with their email address.
- Presenting this incentive in an efficient format. Also known as “Call To Action” Form/box or Opt-In Form/Box or Subscription Form. Eg. Leadpages, OptinMonster etc.
- A service that can help you collect and store emails from that setup. This service will also allow you to send automated emails or newsletter to the received addresses Eg. Mailchimp, Convertkit, etc.
Both step 2 and step 3 has cost involved in it. Or as most of the suggestions say online. As a new blogger, I was not willing to put in money into these systems just yet. My search led to a few solutions for both Step 2 and Step 3.
MailMunch.co is a service that will allow you to make free Subscription/Opt-in forms or Lead Boxes . These forms are used for collecting emails from your Call To Actions.
Pros Of MailMunch
- In the free version, You can have only one site connected to one account. For paid versions, You can have multiple sites connected to one account. Each site can have their boxes, integrations, and connections.
- Each site can have multiple Subscriber lists. There is no limit on the number of subscribers to the lists.
- MailMunch also enables you to have custom fields in the lists and forms. For, e.g., You can have Name, Email and can customize one to ask for SunSign if you are into that.
- It offers five different types of Opt-in boxes:
- Pop Up form
- Embedded Opt-in form
- Top Bar form
- Slide Box
- Landing Page
- Creating Landing Page for free is a huge deal. It allows you to create one using a drag and drop feature of on page elements.
- You get two free designs for each type of form. But you can customize the colors of background, font and the button including text on the button.
- You can have multiple AutoResponders. These are the emails people will get when they submit their details. You can select which autoresponder to send after a user subscribes.
- It offers free exit intent pop box for readers who try to close your web page.
- All forms are mobile optimized.
- You can set the display rules in the form creation itself. This will allow you to skip showing a form on particular pages.
- You can delay the pop-up forms appearance for a few seconds after the visitor comes on your website.
- It can integrate with lots of email services like MailChimp, Aweber, etc.
These are primary the features of Free version. The paid version opens up a lot more features like Analytics, A/B testing, many more designs of the opt-in form, etc.
Cons Of MailMunch
- The forms appear on your website through a plug-in which invokes external CSS and script file. Though not much but these eventually add on to website load times.
- Creating or Editing a form will take you to the service website and can be done there only.
- Every form will have the MailMunch logo displayed in the free version.
- The free version will not allow you to include your custom domain email address in the “From” part of the autoresponder email.
- You can connect to only one site in the free version.
There are a lot of advance features which you can open up by purchasing the paid version. But for a blogger on a budget, the free version is more than enough. You can check out the practical use on my website itself.
If you are just starting out, this financial burden can be lifted off by a small amount by using MailMunch services.
If you found this post useful, or if you know anyone who is just starting out then hit the share button on the bottom of the page. This post can be of great help to them in freeing up a bit of money to invest somewhere else.
Till Next Time